Conjunctivitis, commonly known as pinkeye, is an inflammation of the conjunctiva.
The conjunctiva is the clear membrane that covers the white part of the eye and lines the inner surface of the eyelids. Usually causing no danger to the eye or your vision, it is a fairly common condition. The inflammation can have many causes, the most common of which are infectious, allergic and irritant.
Apart from the discharge, conjunctivitis does not impair vision. Most cases of conjunctivitis are due to a virus or bacterial infection. Soft contact lens wearers should practice careful hygiene when handling their lenses.
Symptoms include itching, swelling and discharge.
The infection should clear within about a week. To prevent conjunctivitis do not share makeup, towels or others’ eye medication. Treatment normally involves eye drops or ointment.
Hygiene is important to prevent spread of an infection because conjunctivitis tends to be contagious.
This varies depending upon the course, but usually involves the administration of saline drops. Cool compresses applied to the eye may help reduce itching and one tablespoon of salt to one quart of water in a dropper reduces swelling. If soft contact lenses are worn they should be disposed of. Once the infection has been resolved, new lenses can be inserted.
We now have Eye of Horus eyes drops available for your eye care needs. Eye of Horus is a brilliant saline and distilled water eye wash for health and healing, measured in the Phi Ratio of the Golden Rectangle. Use it for conjunctivitis, eye infections, sties, red eyes, tired eyes, puffy eyes and more.
- Bilberry, blueberry, other berries, wheat grass, garlic, fennel, tempeh, kale, spinach, grape seed extract, carrots, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, oranges, melons, plums, flaxseed oil, nuts, reishi mushrooms and kiwifruit.
- Cayenne (chilli) pepper
- Because the eye contains a high percentage of vitamin C, adding this vitamin has marked effects. Most notable are the prevention and cure of cataracts, a cure for conjunctivitis, relief from bloodshot eyes and easing of inflammation. Vitamin C and lipoic acid is also especially helpful for reducing the pressure associated with glaucoma.
- Sterile, cold water, vitamin C Juice solutions, calendula tea, golden seal and chamomile, compresses are topical treatments for conjunctives that are soothing to inflammation and healing. To relieve conjunctivitis symptoms as well as general eye inflammation and fatigue, drinking eyebright tea as its name implies helps do this. Another thing that works well is applying eyebright topically after the tea is strained and put into a glass eye cup can work very well.
Maintaining Health Eyes
The eyes need to be nourished properly, like all other parts of the body. Proper eye care includes a healthy diet containing sufficient amounts of vitamins and minerals in addition to making sure that they eyes are not strained by too much intense close work or inadequate light.
You must make sure your diet contains the proper amounts of the B vitamins; vitamins A, C and E; and the minerals selenium and zinc in order to promote good eyesight. Good sources of these vitamins and minerals are fresh fruits and vegetables. Include plenty of these in your diet, especially yellow and orange foods such as carrots, yams and cantaloupes. To keep your eyes healthy, a well balanced diet with plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables can help.
- Broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, green vegetables, raw cabbage, squash, sunflower seeds and watercress.
- To help prevent or alleviate most eye problems drink fresh carrot juice.
- Eliminate sugar and white flour from your diet.
- Avoid wearing tinted eyeglasses, especially on a regular basis. Dark glasses prevent needed light from entering the eyes. The sunlight largely governs the function of the pineal gland, which plays an important role in the regulation of metabolism, behavior and physiological functions.
- Using hair dyes containing coal tar on the eyelashes and eyebrows can cause injury or blindness. Although coal-tar dyes are legal, it is illegal to market them for the eyebrows and eyelashes.